About the best dad ever!




He calls me early in the morning to tell me news I expected the last 3 years.

I saw it coming. So did he. He just didnt want to believe it to be true. Not after 18 years of marriage. But it was there and, sadly, we all knew.

Still.. I could feel sadness in his voice.

He was the writing kind, hardly the talkative kind.

He cries over the phone and I feel powerless over the guy who used to tell me everything was going to be just fine.

He tells me about his latest work and I listen carefully, while remembering the same scene about 10 years before, except that I was the one crying back then.

His marriage fell apart and honestly, he wasn't looking for answers.. he wasn't that silly. He was trying to exercise his demons through his writings. The same ones he used to help me with years before

Now, he doesnt sound like the guy who used to tell stories, or tucked me in at night, and told me and my sisters silly tales in the car on our way home from the farm. He made travelling as a kid fun!

He and mom used to dance late at night in our living room while we pretended to sleep. Gosh! I havent thought about that in years!

Their marriage didn't work but their divorce did. Took us kids,  many years to realize that.

He remarried not long after that  and I suddenly had a whole new family. It was not bad. Just new.

He was still the guy who sat by my side and told me stories and after a bad break up would tell me that after three days of crying I had to get myself back together and go back to my day-to-day life.

He taught me to be independent. To not sit around and wait for a prince charming. He taught me there wouldn't be one and I had to be my own prince. You know...

He fought for me when I didnt even recognized there was a fight going on.

Still... he is one my first memories. Teaching me math, showing me books or simply by being there to tell me the latest adventures if the Baron of Munchausen.

Even after the divorce, during the "he wasn't there period" he was there. He made himself present, whether by calling or dropping by.

I dont think of myself as a child of divorce or a girl with daddy issues. There was NEVER such thing.
My dad was always THE man. I could always count on him. I could always call him up and ask for a piece of advice..and he was always there.

And now he was asking me for advice.

All I could say was: "The truth is, we were always alone. We were born alone.  We'll die alone. I am alone right now! and that's ok! And if this relationship doesnt work out, the next one will. I know it's hard.. specially after so many years, but you taught me to hope and have faith. So have a little faith in me.."

I know it's not the best way..but happy fathers day, dad.

And thanks for everyting!



"I said I will hold you up, I will hold you up

Your love gives me strength enough
So have a little faith in me"  



Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas